CRANES & DERRICKS INSPECTOR
Cranes & Derricks Inspector
NYC Department of Buildings
Civil Service Title: Inspector (Hoists and Rigging)
Title Code No: 31627
Work Location: 280 Broadway, 5th Floor, N.Y.
Division/Work Unit: Cranes & Derricks
Number of Positions: 4
Job ID: 278144
Hours/Shift: 40 hours (minimum)
This position performs work in the inspection of the condition and safety of cranes, machinery and equipment used in hoisting and rigging for conformity with NYC Construction Codes, Department rules, other pertinent laws and rules, and approved plans and specifications. Under general supervision:
• Performs technical inspections of cranes, derricks, work platforms, and other hoist and rigging equipment for compliance with the NYC Construction Code, Department rules, other pertinent laws and rules and approved plans and specifications.
• Responds to, reports and investigates accidents, incidents and complaints for conformity with NYC Construction Codes, Department rules, other pertinent laws and rules, and approved plans and specifications.
• Inspects and may test slings, ropes, cables, blocks, poles, derricks, outriggers, cable-ways, cranes, lifting devices, and other associated appurtenances for safety conditions.
• Patrols district to observe hoisting and rigging operations.
• Studies drawings to obtain details for inspections.
• Issues violations, summonses and stop work orders.
• Verifies licenses of onsite workers.
• When issuing violations, advises the recipient of the nature of the violating condition.
• Testifies as needed, including at ECB, depositions, and court.
• Maintains records and makes reports. Explains and enforces laws and rules relevant to the field.
• May assign, supervise, review and evaluate work of subordinates.
• May train subordinates in their duties.
• May review applications relevant to the field.
• May assist supervisor.
• Operates a motor vehicle in the performance of assigned duties. Candidates must successfully pass a drug screening in order to be appointed.
1. A Motor Vehicle Driver License valid in the State of New York. This license must be maintained for the duration of employment.
2. At the time of appointment to certain positions candidates may have to qualify for appointment as Special Patrolman. The Special Patrolman status must be maintained for the duration of employment in that position.
Minimum Qualification Requirements:
1. Five years of full-time satisfactory experience in one or a combination of the following: as a rigger handling gear and equipment in the hoisting and rigging business; as an inspector of hoists and rigging; as a licensed crane operator; or as a crane mechanic; or
2. At least three years of experience, as described in "1" above, and a combination of the following, sufficient to equal a total of five years of acceptable experience:
(a) Education leading to a baccalaureate degree in Civil Engineering or Mechanical Engineering from an accredited college or university, accredited by regional, national, professional or specialized agencies recognized as accrediting bodies by the U.S. Secretary of Education and by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA), which will be credited on the basis of one year of acceptable experience for each 30 semester credits of this education.
(b) Apprenticeship in the hoisting and rigging trade, which will be credited on the basis of six months of acceptable experience for each year of this apprenticeship experience.
Experience must be with cranes Working knowledge of the NYC Construction Codes Computer literacy
A valid New York State Department of Motor Vehicles Driver's License maintained for the duration of employment. At the time of appointment, all candidates residing in New York City must apply to receive Special Patrolman Status.
New York City residency is generally required within 90 days of appointment. However, City Employees in certain titles who have worked for the City for 2 continuous years may also be eligible to reside in Nassau, Suffolk, Putnam, Westchester, Rockland, or Orange County. To determine if the residency requirement applies to you, please discuss with the agency representative at the time of interview.
Please visit: www.nyc.gov/jobs/search
Keywords: type in “Inspector”
Agency: Select “Buildings” from the drop down menu
No phone calls, faxes or personal inquiries permitted.
NOTE: ONLY THOSE CANDIDATES UNDER CONSIDERATION WILL BE CONTACTED
The City of New York is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Browse Jobs By Category